Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Oh My Word(s)!

When I was in India, during one of the Q & A sessions with Swamiji, I asked a question. I don't remember what the question was, and it doesn't matter now. What I do remember is where it led - to an answer I have been dwelling on since that moment nearly two years ago. What happened was my question was mistranslated and when Swamiji answered and was translated back, it didn't make sense. Others in the session caught it and corrected the translator, that that was not what I meant. After straightening it out, Swamiji looked directly at me and said (in Hindi of course), "Speak clearly if you want to be heard."

My first reaction was to feel defensive. She misunderstood me due to a language barrier. What does that have to do with me speaking clearly? But it was when Kate, my traveling companion and our Edmonton meditation group organizer, excitedly approached me afterwards with, "Well look at you! Getting special messages from Swamiji! How wonderful for you!" ...And then it started to make sense. ...And it's almost like since then, it has made more and more sense with each passing day. I think of it and I understand it on a different, new, elevating and elevated level.

I tend to be rather verbose. This is no surprise to anyone who knows me well...or not so well. Usually not in an efficient way either. (I'm also quite fond of sentence fragments. And starting sentences with "and" and "but", but I digress...) I tend to ramble on and on and on. I became painfully aware of this habit of mine when I started dating a former partner. I would start going on about one thing or another and quickly reach the point when his eyes would glaze over and I'd realize that he's gone into screensaver mode and isn't hearing me at all. If I wanted him to hear what I had to say, I had to make it very concise.

Beyond that, and with other people, it holds true. I enjoy being able to tell longwinded animated stories, but there needs to be a place within me from where I can draw less words with more meaning, and I need to be able to access it on a whim. That is something I need to work on. I can always do it. I know that. But it takes me that moment of focus - actually stopping what I'm doing, closing my eyes, clearing my mind and putting forth the intention.  I can't do that while doing a performance review or dealing with a difficult customer.

And so! To build this skill I plan on writing more. More random notes about what is currently on my mind sound like good practice. And/or more poetry perhaps. That's been idling in me since I was a moody 16 year old, writing some awful (and a few really great) poems and songs. Yeah, I could get back into that, and it would certainly do me a lot of good. Good for the Vishuddha (throat - expression, creativity, the endocrine system) and Anahata (heart - love, empathy, selflessness, devotion and again the endocrine system, heart and lungs) chakras. Open and clear the Vishuddha and protect the Anahata. That's what I need to do.

Sincerely - I LOVE writing. It's shameful that I haven't realized it fully. Ironically - directly after Swamiji's visit to Edmonton, and me finally meditating regularly again. Way to go Trista. Things are moving forward and I'm feeling really good about the direction my life is headed. Much learning has been happening over the last couple years and I'm feeling fruition and fulfillment upon me...as if everything in my life has been leading me to the Here and Now, and the not-so-distant future.

Good stuff. :)

16 August 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment